Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Reason Two: Yard Work



This is the pile of wood that has been sitting in my backyard for months. One day, my hetero husband came home with a truckload of wood from work. Did he pile it up nicely, NO. He just threw it in a pile as close to the gate as possible.

Then, a few weeks later, he decided that we needed to cut some branches off of our trees. These were added to the pile whole. The were partially on the pile, partially in the yard and partially hanging over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

Last week, tired of this huge, hoosier pile, I decided that something had to be done. I put on my gardening gloves, located the reciprocating saw (which is for some reason kept under the bed in the spare bedroom) and went to town on the 15 feet branches. I sawed, snapped branches, and got covered in bug bites until the sun was beating down on me and I couldn't take it for another minute.

Thankfully, this brief desire to hack at wood led my husband to want to make the remaining pile more manageable. We sawed and snapped even more branches until the neighbor no longer had our crap leaning over his fence and we had a huge pile of sawdust on the ground.

In his hetero male world of big trucks and fire building, having all of this firewood makes sense. In my world, I would much rather spend the time making the front of the house more presentable. Weeding, planting flowers, etc.

Somehow, I think that my fictional gay husband would share this same desire. My fictional gay husband would not plop a tree load of wood on the patio. He would need that space for entertaining. My fictional gay husband would think that curb appeal was more than making sure that the lawn is not overgrown. Going to by a flat of petunias wouldn't be met with groans and eye rolls. And that same trip to Home Depot would not then involve looking at ladders, even though we own three of various lengths. What a wonderful world that would be.

1 comment:

Stirs The Stars said...

Also, I don't think a gay man would have a saw under the bed in any room.

I love the idea of this blog. You are hilarious.